NH Changed the Law on Annulment of Criminal Records:

Restoring Your Constitutional Rights

A modified annulment law, RSA 651:5, became effective on January 1, 2016.  The biggest change was to reduce the length of time required to annul a B misdemeanor from 3 years to 2 years. The amended statute added a clause that if a victim was a family or household member the length of time remains 3 years.

The other parts of the statute remain unchanged which means that NH
permits annulments pursuant to RSA 651:5 for most felons after a
requisite time period of being conviction free.  The NH statute still excludes
certain violent crimes:  (a) capital murder, first or second
degree murder, manslaughter, or class A felony negligent homicide under
RSA 630, (b) first degree assault under RSA 631:1, (c) aggravated
felonious sexual assault or felonious sexual assault under RSA 632-A,
(d) kidnapping or criminal restraint under RSA 633, (e) class A felony
arson under RSA 634:1, (f) robbery under RSA 636, (g) incest under RSA
639:2, III or endangering the welfare of a child by solicitation under
RSA 639:3, III; or (h) any felonious child pornography offense under RSA

Here is the link for a Petition to Annul.   It is relatively easy to complete the form but if an error occurs a person must wait 3 years before filing another petition.  There is a court filing fee of $125 for each court where there is a conviction.  Upon filing the department of corrections will be ordered to conduct an investigation and produce a records check and submit it to the court.  The DOC charges a fee of $100 for the investigation and records check.  After the annulment has been granted the Department of Safety charges $100 to effectuate the annulment by deleting the computer records.

I am frequently contacted by people looking to annul their records for many reasons.  Some are embarrassed by mistakes made when they were younger.  Some are planning on traveling to Canada.  Some are hoping to restore their right to possess firearms.  The annulment law means that a person who makes a mistake doesn’t have to be labeled for
life due to a prior act after having served their sentence. This law helps restore citizens to enjoy their full constitutional rights. 

If you have questions about seeking an annulment contact me.  I have assisted hundreds of NH citizens in annulling their criminal records for over 20 years.  I am happy to speak with you and try to help.   Contact me.   

You May Also Like…